Cutting potatoes is a tedious process. Not only can it take multiple attempts to peel the skin away, but you can hurt yourself in the task. Using a potato peeler may be the “tried and true method,” but it is not the most efficient way to have a perfectly skinless potato for your recipe.
Here is a far easier and safer method to cut your potatoes that will safe you even more time. All you need is a knife and a bowl of ice water. Let’s get peeling!
How To Peel Potatoes
1. Using a sharp knife, gently cut the skin along the width of the potato. You want a light incision that follows the potato. Try to keep it as close to a circle as possible to make it easier to tear off later.
2. Remember, you’re just slicing the potato skin — not cutting into the potato itself! You just need to slide the knife across the skin and make a slight incision.
3. Place the potatoes in a pot and bring the water to boiling. The potatoes should cook for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and tender.
4. Have a bowl of ice water ready. When the potato has finished cooking, put it in the ice water for 10 seconds to cool it down and make the skin easier to remove.
5. After the 10 seconds, slowly start to peel the skin away from the knife’s mark using your thumb. Once enough skin has bunched together, gently pull it away from the potato.
6. With the simple magic of ice water, watch the potato skin peel away in ease!
Creating just a small cut in the potato skin and using ice water, the hard work of peeling a potato is done for you. You don’t even need a potato peeler!
Is anyone else feeling like potato salad? Watch the video below for visual instructions and make sure to share with your friends to show them this incredible potato life hack!