Teen With Dairy Allergy Dies After Restaurant Says His Burger Is Safe To Eat


Teenager Owen Carey died as a result of anaphylactic shock two years ago after consuming a burger with dairy. Carey has a dairy allergy and the restaurant staff allegedly tell him that his burger was free from any dairy and safe to eat. He was celebrating his 18th birthday at the time on April 22nd, 2017.

Carey asks about the contents of the burger beforehand because there were no allergen labels on the menu. He soon begins to feel symptoms of an allergic reaction after consuming half of a grilled chicken burger. The burger had allegedly been marinated in buttermilk.


Owen Carey, who had a dairy allergy, tragically dies in 2017

Carey’s family / YUI MOK/AP IMAGES

Carey then subsequently collapses in his girlfriend’s arms while walking to the London aquarium. Paramedics would soon arrive and give him first aid, but he sadly dies at St. Thomas’s hospital 45 minutes later. Assistant coroner Briony Ballard recently called the teenager’s death a “tragedy.”


“The deceased made serving staff aware of his allergies. The menu was reassuring in that it made no reference to any marinade or potential allergenic ingredient in the food selected,” Ballard says.

Now, his family is calling for a new law

The restaurant Carey consumed the dairy in / YUI MOK/AP IMAGES

Ballard continues, “The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the order. The food served to and consumed by the deceased contained dairy which caused the deceased to suffer a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died.”

The investigation takes place for Carey’s family’s validation. They know that the 18-year-old would always take precaution when eating out. “We’re very glad the coroner saw that and took it on board, because it was important to us that Owen said what he said at the restaurant,” Carey’s dad says. “He knew exactly what he could and couldn’t eat, and I think it’s because we had drilled it into him from an early age.”

His family now seeks to prevent this from happening to someone else

Owen Carey / Family handout/PA

Carey’s family is currently calling for a new law to require allergen information on restaurant menus. This is to prevent another situation like this from happening in the future to someone else.

The family’s statement says, “It is simply not good enough to have a policy which relies on verbal communication between the customer and their server… which often takes places in a busy, noisy restaurant where the turnover of staff is high and many of their customers are very young.”

Speaking of allergies, one airline has just banned peanuts on all of their flights… take a look!

Show comments
Published by

Recent Posts

New ‘View’ Co-Hosts Get Into Heated Debate On The Air

The View can get pretty heated. There are several co-hosts that appear on the long-running…

46 mins ago

THROWBACK: Kirstie Alley’s Risqué Emmys Acceptance Speech About Then-Husband, Parker Stevenson

The gorgeous Hollywood star Kirstie Alley died of colon cancer at 71. Her breakthrough act…

1 hour ago

Loretta Lynn’s Children Share Their Thoughts On Her Grand Ole Opry Tribute

About a month ago, the Grand Ole Opry paid tribute to the late Loretta Lynn.…

2 hours ago

25 Years Later, Kate Winslet Still Can’t Watch Herself In ‘Titanic’

On December 17, 1997, Titanic was released in the U.S. 25 years later, it remains…

4 hours ago

John Stamos Helps Los Angeles Sheriff’s Recruits After Car Crash

Full House star John Stamos joined Days of our Lives star Kyle Lowder to help…

4 hours ago

Legendary Boxing Referee And TV Judge Mills Lane Dies At Age 85

Mills Lane died on Tuesday, November 6, at the age of 85. He had been…

5 hours ago